WHAT ARE MACARONS:
A macaron is a delicate French dessert that is made of two immaculate meringues sandwiching a flavored ganache, buttercream or jam. Contrary to popular belief, these delicacies were first made in Italy in the 8th century AD and it was only in 1533, when Catherine de’Medici married Henry II of France, that they were introduced to France by the queen’s pastry chefs. Today they are a tea-time and party favorite and can be found in traditional (like raspberry and chocolate) and new flavors (like popping candy and matcha).
HOW TO MAKE MACARONS AT HOME:
These desserts are peculiarly difficult to make and it takes a lifetime worth of effort to perfect the art of making them. But they aren’t impossible to make, in fact you can make them at home itself. Here’s what you need to make a delicious French macaron with a chocolate ganache:
For the meringues:
• 3 egg whites
• ¼ cup white sugar
• 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
• 1 cup finely ground almonds
• 2tbs cocoa powder
1. Line a baking tray with baking paper or a baking silicon mat
2. Beat the egg whites in a bowl till they are foamy.
3. Then beat in the white sugar into the egg whites, till the mixture is glossy and the peaks of the batter hold.
4. In a separate bowl, sift the confectioners’ sugar and ground almonds, once mixed, fold into the egg white batter gently, to make it slightly loose.
5. To add color to your meringues, add the cocoa powder to the mixture.
6. Spoon the batter into a piping bag and pipe a small neat disk onto the baking tray.
7. Let the piped disk sit out (in room temperature) for about an hour.
8. Preheat the over to 285 degrees Fahrenheit (or 140 degrees Celsius)
9. Bake the disks for 10 minutes till the meringues are set (Make sure they haven’t browned in the process).
10. Once baked, leave them on a cooling rack until completely cold.
For the ganache:
• 3 ½ ounces of chocolate (dark or milk) finely chopped
• 2tbs frozen or hard unsalted butter
• ½ cup heavy cream
1. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Remove from the heat and pour over the butter, till it melts into it.
3. Pour this mixture over the chocolate and stir till the chocolate melts and forms a smooth paste.
4. Refrigerate until firm (about 20 minutes).
How to assemble:
1. Spoon the ganache into a piping bag fitted with a ¼ inch tip.
2. Pipe the ganache neatly onto the flattened side of a single meringue.
3. Sandwich with the flattened side of another meringue.
Enjoy and relish the yummyness.
Macarons, today are easily available at your neighborhood confectionery. But since the art of making them is so tedious and challenging, not all the bakers can pull off the delectable macarons with ease.
In recent times, these macarons have been reintroduced to the world in a variety of flavors by acclaimed Italian- Australian chef, Adriano Zumbo, whose appearance on the popular culinary competition Master Chef Australia earned him the title of the “sweet assassin” and “the Dark Lord of the Pastry Kitchen”. Zumbo is also known for his croquembouche tower, V8 cake, and fairy tale house. Today he owns six patisseries in Australia itself and is the host of his new TV show “Zumbo’s Just Desserts!”.
Some of his most popular (and rather off beat) macaron flavors are:
• Salted butter popcorn
• Gingerbread house
• Kalamata Olive
• Wasabi and Pickled Ginger
• Chocolate, peanut butter and jelly
• Beetroot raspberry
• Strawberry bubblegum
• Pancake and maple syrup
MACARON’S NEW AVATAR:
Amazeology is a one of a kind website that has introduced for the first time in Australia, complete customization of macarons with respect to their flavor and appearance. You can now order your box of these personalised custom printed macarons, sitting in the comforts of your very own home!
All you need to do is log on to http://amazeology.com.au/custom-macarons/ and choose your favorite color of the macaron shell along with the flavor of the ganache (from a choice of- Chocolate Ganache, Salted Caramel, Choc Mint Crunch, Orange Bloom, Peanut Butter Whip and Popping candy) that is sandwiched between the meringues.
For total customization, you could also get a picture or personal message printed on your macarons, by simply uploading it from your mobile/laptop gallery, Facebook or Instagram. If you’re running low on creativity, then you are cordially invited to view our gallery for some ‘sweet’ inspiration!
MACARONS AS GIFTS:
Apart from making the ideal high tea desserts, Macarons also make the best gifts and giveaways and why not? If you come to think of it, they’re delicious, as pretty as a picture, loved by everyone and can now be customized to your liking! So be it a sweet 16, a wedding or a corporate event, these bites of heaven are the most creative and unique gifts to get and give!